Avoid Mold, Rot & Dust Mites with Moisture Control
There’s much more to moisture control than keeping a dry space. Moisture control also helps avoid other issues like mold, rot, and dust mites. These nuisances rely on moisture to survive, so if you have moisture issues it’s likely that you’ll have these other unwanted problems. If you lower your humidity levels to less than 60%, it will no longer be a desirable environment for these pests to thrive.
By sealing out humidity from outside air and installing a dehumidifier, you can protect yourself from mold and dust mite problems. Contact us today to schedule your free inspection! We serve throughout central Missouri and Eastern Kansas, including Kansas City, St. Louis, Columbia, Moberly, and Springfield.
Common Humidity Problems
Mold spores are present nearly everywhere, growing when they meet sufficient temperature, moisture, and organic material to grow. 50% of homes have at least one resident with allergies, with the American Lung Association showing that 88 million Americans suffering from some sort of respiratory distress. 90% of people with allergies show sensitivity to mold spores.
Dust mites are microscopic arachnids that live in your home, most often in carpeting, sofas, pillows, and other cushioned furniture. Dust mites create allergenic fecal material, which they release into the air as much as 20 times a day. Dust mites live in humid areas, absorbing moisture directly from the air.
Black Mold is a highly toxic mold that is rare but dangerous when it grows in the home. Black mold spores host a fungus that produces carcinogenic mycotoxins that are linked to ailments such as liver cancer, lung cancer, chronic liver damage, acute or chronic nervous system damage, endocrine problems, and others.
Mold & Rot can begin to form in damp wood in as little as 24-48 hours. If allowed to damage wood unchecked, rot, mold, and dry rot can lead to many thousands of dollars worth of damage to a home. In the case of dry rot, a 75% loss of toughness can be caused by a 1% weight loss. Rot and mold in wood should be addressed as soon as possible.
Mold and dust mites can wreak havoc on both your health and your home like no other. In just a few years, they can significantly damage your home and personal property, while allergens from mold spores and dust mite waste damage your health. We offer free mold & dust mite control inspections in throughout Missouri.
At Foundation Recovery Systems, we offer a variety of solutions for moisture control to help get rid of not only the moisture but also any mold or dust mites. A combination of our vapor barriers and dehumidifiers will do the trick to give you a clean, dry space!
We offer free moisture control inspections to homeowners in our Missouri and Eastern Kansas service area. Give us a call today to get yours scheduled!
Mold & Dust Mite Health Facts
- Dust Mites & Mold Eat Organic Materials: That means any organic material at all. Dust, fabric, fiberglass resins and dyes, drywall, wallpaper, glue, paint, wood, or anything else is enough to keep it growing. As for dust mites, 1,000 of these critters can live in a single gram of dust, each one creating 20 waste pellets per day.
- Mold Can Live in The Cold: Ever see mold in a refrigerator? Research shows that as long as the temperature is above 40 °F (4 °C), mold can grow and spread.
- Mold & Dust Mites Grow Fast: Mold can begin to grow in a home in as little as 24-48 hours, with a billion mold spores growing on a single foot of drywall. A single female dust mite can lay upwards of 250 eggs in its three-month lifespan.
- Mold Leads to Insurance Woes: Due to tens of thousands of mold-related lawsuits being filed, most general liability and property insurance companies now exclude mold insurance from their policies.
- Mold Destroys Your Home: Professional Builder Magazine warns that mold will dramatically lower the value of your home. A home worth $250,000 can easily have $100,000 in mold problems. Mold can even lead to structural damage to your home!
- Mold Spores Can Damage Your Health: Mold spore exposure can occur through inhalation, ingestion, and skin contact. Mold and dust mite waste are connected to allergies, asthma, and other breathing issues. Even dead mold spores can be damaging to your health.
- Dust Mite Waste Is Highly Allergenic: 90% of patients show dermal reactivity to dust mite waste and 10% of the general population is also sensitive. Dust mite waste makes up 80-90% of the allergic component of house dust, containing 15 potent allergens that sensitize and trigger allergic reactions. In fact, American Family Physician states that controlling dust mites is the most important thing you can do in your house to make your asthma and allergies better.
- Mold & Dust Mites Are Sneaky: Mold can grow in fiberglass insulation, behind drywall panels, and behind wallpaper. Dust mites can live in furniture, cloth, and pillows. Just because you don’t see a problem does not mean that one does not exist.
View more Basement Waterproofing Solutions