Moberly may not be known for its volatile weather, but that’s no reason for you to neglect the care and keeping of your crawl space. Come spring, it’ll be time for you to head downstairs and see how the winter’s treated your belongings.
The benefits of cleaning your crawl space include but are not limited to:
- Improve Your Home Storage – One big advantage of having a crawl space is that you can use this area to store everything from seasonal decorations to family heirlooms. If you want to keep these belongings safe from damage or loss, you need to keep your crawl space clean.
- Reduce the Risk of Foundation Damage – Water that gets into your crawl space can easily travel down into your foundation. The kind of foundation damage a leaking crawl space puts you at risk for can cost you a pretty penny – all the more reason, then, to keep your crawl space dry and clean.
- Prevent Flooding – The last thing you want to find when going down to clean your crawl space is standing water. If you clean your crawl space on a biweekly basis, however, you’ll be able to spot the signs of a leak in advance and reach out to the applicable professionals for help.
- Eliminate Mold Spores and Clusters – If your crawl space is damp, it’s going to be a haven for mold. Clean your crawl space and dry it out with a dehumidifier if you want to keep mold spores from taking root alongside your belongings.
- Prevent Infestations – If water can get into your home, so can insects and other critters. When you clean your crawl space and point out any leaks to a professional contractor, you’ll not only be eliminating a source of water damage but also a source of the infestation.
- Boost Your Home’s Cleanliness – Want to get rid of the musty smell in your home, but aren’t sure where to start? Head down into your crawl space. Unfortunately, the smell of dampness rooted here travels upward and fills the whole of your home. While name-brand air fresheners can cover the scent up, you’ll need to get your hands dirty if you want to reclaim your space.
- Improve Your Home’s Market Value – If you want to sell your home, you’re going to need to ensure it’s in the best shape possible before you put it on the market. One of the ways you can get the most value out of your home is to keep the crawl space clean. A dirty crawl space that’s led to foundation cracks or crawl space leaks can cost you up to 30 percent of your home’s value.
- Replace Old Insulation – Thermal insulation is a great temporary waterproofing measure in addition to a temperature control barrier. However, if you don’t keep an eye on it while cleaning your crawl space or replace it over time, you risk it becoming a hotbed for mold reproduction or animal nesting.
- Save Money on Repairs – The sooner you’re able to respond to a problem in your crawl space, the less repairs are going to cost you. The best way to spot the kinds of problems that demand expensive repairs is to clean your crawl space consistently.
- Save Money on Your Bills – If you leave your crawl space unattended, you may not be able to stay on top of pipe leaks or cracks. As a result, you may notice your electric, heating, or water bill spiking for seemingly no reason. If you want to better track the changes in your home, keep your crawl space clean. This way, you can reach out for professional guidance if you see a problem developing that you don’t know how to treat.
Don’t wait for Moberly’s weather to turn sour. Check out your crawl space and keep it clean. If, during the cleaning process, you notice signs of a leak, reach out to a local contractor for guidance including a free inspection and estimate.