Moist Basements and Basement Mold: The Connection

remove basement mold

What’s more unpleasant than a moldy home? Homes that haven’t been properly waterproofed are significantly more like to fall victim to mold infestations than homes that have reliable waterproofing measures in place. What are you supposed to do when mold strikes?

Why Does Mold Love Your Basement?

Mold is one of the most tenacious organisms on the planet. It doesn’t need all that much to start growing, let alone to thrive. As such, it’s quick to take root in many homeowners’ basements.

Mold grows best in environments that are cool, dark, and damp. It is most likely to take root in your basement’s organic materials. This can range from your carpet to your drywall to your wooden support beams.

If you don’t waterproof your basement, and you find that your basement is frequently damp, you’ve effectively set up the perfect garden in which mold can grow.

How Does Mold Impact Your Family’s Health?

Unfortunately, basement mold is more than just unsightly. If you let it grow for too long, or you don’t notice it at all, it can compromise your family’s health. Children and adults who are sensitive to pollen or other airborne spores may start to suffer if mold is allowed to take root in your home. Similarly, mold can readily make a person’s asthma or allergy symptoms worse.

Some of the most common effects mold can have on your health include:

That said, you won’t be able to blame all of your colds on mold. Each person reacts differently to the presence of mold in their home. While you should pay close attention to your health, as a homeowner, you’ll want to investigate your basement and visit a doctor before attributing a cold or an allergic reaction to the presence of mold in your home.

If, however, you’re noticing an overall decrease in your health over time, consider reaching out to one of the professional contractors working in your area. An experienced contractor will be able to inspect your home and determine whether or not mold’s taken root where you can’t see it.

What Are The Symptoms Of A Mold Infestation In Your Home?

If you can’t rely on your health to tell you when mold’s taken root in your basement, what signs can you look out for? Some of the most common indicators of mold growth in a home include:

Many of these signs, however, also indicate that you have a leak or a crack somewhere in your basement. Mold itself is often a sign of more significant damage throughout your home. This is why it’s especially important to bring on one of Kansas City’s professional contractors if you suspect something’s gone wrong in your basement. Not only will you benefit from an inspection, but contractors will also be able to provide you with a free quote for potential waterproofing services to help prevent mold in your basement.

How Do You Prevent Mold Growth In Your Basement?

Looking to keep mold out of your basement? There are several steps you can take to protect your basement against an infestation, including:

When in doubt, it’s always best to waterproof your basement and foundation. The contractors working out of Kansas City, MO, can recommend many waterproofing measures, including:

How Do You Repair A Mold-Infested Basement?

You won’t be able to waterproof your home if mold is still present in your basement. How do you go about remediating an infested home?

The good news is that it isn’t as difficult as you might think to rid your basement of mold. Most home remedies, including a baking powder and vinegar combination, are enough to wipe the mold from your walls. There are other chemical solutions available to you, including the use of bleach. If you overuse these solutions, however, you may overexpose yourself to the fumes and further compromise your health.

It’s always best to reach out to local professionals who specialize in mold removal when you’re looking to get rid of the mold in your home. While these experts can help with mold remediation, your local basement waterproofing contractors can install measures that will help keep mold at bay and ensure a safe, dry, and healthy home for you and your family.


Contact us for a Free Inspection!